Frequently Asked Questions

Which countries can I go to?

According to the degree course you are taking and the language/s you know, you will be able to opt for either some destinations or others. You can check the list of available universities for Exchange and Erasmus programmes on the virtual campus.

How long is the exchange?

The duration of the exchange programme can be from a semester (a real stay of 4 or 5 months) to an academic year. You must always check with your degree coordinator, who will validate the competences of the subjects taken and recognise the pertinent credits after return.

Which kinds of exchange programmes exist and what is the difference?

Bilateral exchanges can be made within the framework of the Erasmus programme or outside it. In both cases an institutional agreement between the universities is necessary. The main difference is that Erasmus students are under the “administrative umbrella” of the European Commission and, therefore, they have to take care of several formalities. On the other hand, the other exchanges are based on essentially private agreements between the universities. In any case, both modalities do have the same importance and recognition for academic purposes.

What are the admissions requirements?

The university exchange is aimed at students who have already a good command of the language in which the programme is taught. It is very important to notice that the goal is not learning the language, but studying in the language. For this reason, from the beginning, students need to have the sufficient knowledge to understand lectures, ask questions, take notes, write assignments and exams and, of course, successfully pass the academic year, just as any other local student.

Regarding the Erasmus Programme, a B1 is the minimum score required in the United Kingdom and Germany (in English and German, respectively). In Portugal and Italy there is no minimum score required.

Regarding the other exchanges, the language level requirements are different.

On the other side, it is also important to have a good academic record. An Evaluation Committee with members from ESNE and UCJC will ultimately decide on the applicant’s’ eligibility.

Other basic requirements to join the Erasmus Programme are:

Not having been an Erasmus student before. If you have already been an Erasmus student, even in another school, degree or university, you cannot be eligible again.

Being an EU national or having permanent EU residence.

Not being a first year student.

Being enrolled at UCJC throughout the whole academic year of the Erasmus stay.

What courses can I take abroad?

You must consider the following aspects before you make the list of courses you want to take at the host university:

Students are required to obtain a maximum of 30 ECTS credits per semester.

Each school or university has nominated an Erasmus academic coordinator, who is responsible for advising on course selection and the number of ECTS credits required. In order to do so, he will not only consider the student’s proposal, but also the courses offered each semester by the host university.

Once the list of chosen courses are agreed, a Learning Agreement is signed between the University (through each school or faculty) and the student, and that’s what helps ensure that your choice of courses is approved by the Erasmus coordinator and prevent any later misunderstandings.

When can I go abroad?

You need to have completed 100 percent of the credits of the first year, and some students may not have that information before the application deadline. Therefore, priority will be given to 2nd and 3rd year students.

Any awarding of an Erasmus grant or other exchanges is conditional to having passed 100 percent of the first year credits.

How must I enrol?

You must make the following enrolments:

The regular UCJC/ ESNE enrolment, within the official deadlines.

Enrolment at your host university, upon arrival and according to the instructions provided by the correspondent department or International Relations Office.

This “double enrolment” does not mean you have to pay twice, since the regular fee is paid at ESNE or UCJC. You will only have to pay at the destination university if you wish to take courses not included in the Erasmus agreement between the two universities.

How much does it cost to stay abroad on an exchange programme?

Going to study abroad means –in most cases, for the student’s family- a big economic effort. Besides UCJC or ESNE enrolment fees, there are other expenses to be considered: travel, accommodation and living expenses. There are different funding mechanisms intended to offset this situation and contributing towards the extra costs arising from studying abroad:

Erasmus National Agency awards a grant, calculated according to a monthly rate and which varies each year. The average monthly amount is over EUR 115 €. The student must sign a financial agreement with UCJC before going abroad. This agreement will be sent later to the institution responsible for awarding grants The Socrates-Erasmus grant is not intended to cover the full costs of study abroad.

The Spanish Ministry for Education (Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia) also provides financial aid according to the total number of outgoing students

How will the subjects taken abroad be validated?

As previously explained, the student, assisted by the academic coordinator, makes a pre-selection from those courses offered by the host university. This document will be signed by ESNE Academic Coordinator, as well as by the degree coordinator and by the student.

Once abroad, the student must notify their ESNE coordinator of any possible changes that had arisen and the definitive courses they enrolled in each semester. Any change carried out without UCJC knowledge and consent will release the latter from any liability for the validation of the taken courses. On the contrary, if changes are approved, as long as the student passes the planned courses, they will be recognised and validated.

At the end of the stay, the host university will issue a transcript of records specifying all the completed courses (with their corresponding ECTS credits) and the awarded grades.

What happens with failed examinations abroad?

The failed course, or its equivalent in ECTS credits, will also be failed in ESNE. A fail grade cannot be passed in the September call in Madrid and it can only be cleared by sitting the repeat examination at the host university.

How can I certify my language level?

You need to certify your language level. If you already have any official certification, attach it to your application.

Some universities accept and recommend a DIALANG test, available online, as a language certification. In order to confirm the validity of results, the Erasmus coordinator will get in contact with the students who wish to take the test, and will set a date for a test under her/his supervision at ESNE.